The deluxe package to Justin Bieber‘s upcoming album Believe will have three additional tracks, one of which brings up a scandal that comes too close to home for the singer.
At a listening session held at the Island Def Jam offices, Bieber’s manager Scooter Braun said that for legal reasons “Maria” is not about any real person. But by giving the track a closer listen it is no doubt about Mariah Yeater, the fan who accused Bieber of fathering his child.
“He drew from real life a little bit,” Braun said as he introduced album closer “Maria.”
The song begins with 30 seconds of news reports addressing the rumors. Nearly 10 seconds in, Matt Lauer is interviewing Bieber.
“There is a lot of good that comes with celebrity. There is also a pretty white hot spotlight and you’ve found yourself under it recently,” Lauer said.
“To set the record straight, none of it is true. Never met the woman,” Bieber said.
Segue into a deep bass beat and Bieber tells us the full story.
“She says she met me on the tour/ She keeps knocking on my door/ She won’t leave me alone . . . She wanted all my attention/ She was dyin’ for my affection/ But she got mad ’cause I can’t give it to her,” he sings.
Bieber channels another King of Pop as “Maria” recalls Michael Jackson’s “Billie Jean” when he sings “that ain’t my baby/ that ain’t my girl” in his impressive falsetto. Showcasing a new side to Bieber, “Maria” is a memorable way to close Believe. The album will be released June 19.
– Annie Reuter CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Adam Levine and Behati Prinsloo Officially Parents, But What’s Up With the Baby’s Name?
- Shawn Mendes Pokes Fun of Jimmy Fallon on ‘The Tonight Show’
- Adele on Quitting Smoking: ‘I’m Convinced That’s Made my Voice Weaker’
- Diddy Donates $1 Million to Howard University Scholarship Fund
- 5 Best Songs on Shawn Mendes’ ‘Illuminate’
- Justin Timberlake Revamps ‘Can’t Stop the Feeling!’ with James Corden, Gwen Stefani