R&B big timer R. Kelly is the latest celebrity to get a call from Uncle Sam over unpaid taxes. The “I Believe I Can Fly” singer joins YMCMB general Lil Wayne and Grammy-winning vocalist Lauryn Hill in the IRS doghouse for reportedly owing close to $5 million in taxes dating back to 2005.
“R. Kelly is in the process of working everything out with the government and is confident that all his obligations will be satisfied,” a spokesperson for the singer said in a statement.
In early 2011, Lil Wayne was hit with a mammoth tax lien worth $5. 6 million. Lauryn Hill was charged with three counts of willfully failing to file income tax returns totaling $1.8 million. The former Fugees vocalist wrote a statement in which she claimed she was innocent of all charges.
Kelly is set to release his new album Write Me Back on June 26th.
—Keith Murphy, CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Bruno Mars to Join Coldplay for Super Bowl Halftime Show
- Kanye West Wants 1,200 Paid Extras for MSG Show
- Win Tickets To The Play Fair
- Queen’s ‘Another One Bites the Dust’ Sets the Tone in New Super Bowl Ad
- Nick Jonas Talks Lady Gaga Inspiration and New Album
- Adele Shares a Photo of When She Was Young