R. Kelly Sings Tax Blues, Owes Uncle Sam $4.8 Million
R&B big timer R. Kelly is the latest celebrity to get a call from Uncle Sam over unpaid taxes. The “I Believe I Can Fly” singer joins YMCMB general Lil Wayne and Grammy-winning vocalist Lauryn Hill in the IRS doghouse for reportedly owing close to $5 million in taxes dating back to 2005.
“R. Kelly is in the process of working everything out with the government and is confident that all his obligations will be satisfied,” a spokesperson for the singer said in a statement.
In early 2011, Lil Wayne was hit with a mammoth tax lien worth $5. 6 million. Lauryn Hill was charged with three counts of willfully failing to file income tax returns totaling $1.8 million. The former Fugees vocalist wrote a statement in which she claimed she was innocent of all charges.
Kelly is set to release his new album Write Me Back on June 26th.
—Keith Murphy, CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Taylor Swift Patents Lyrics, Including ‘This Sick Beat’
- Would Chris Pratt Make a Good Indiana Jones?
- Kenny G: I’m Partially Responsible for Starbucks’ Frappuccino, You’re Welcome
- “100 Hours Per Week, No Overtime” – Mariah Carey’s Ex-Nanny Speaks Out
- Ella Henderson on Taking Inspiration from Mermaids and Valentino in Style Files
- Lady Gaga & Tony Bennett Added to List of 2015 GRAMMY Performers