They’re both costume-wearing, heavily-made-up music stars who let their freak flags fly and wholly shock their devotees in concert. When you think of it that way, Alice Cooper and Lady Gaga are cut from the same cloth, despite their differences in genre and generation.
Apparently Cooper sees some appeal in the “Mother Monster” and her message. The original shock-rocker covered Gaga’s 2011 hit “Born This Way” to close out his headlining gig at Bonnaroo music festival down in Manchester, Tenn. on Saturday (June 9). Watch below.
Cooper reworks the song’s verses to tell his own story and to suit the Bonnaroo crowd, noting that festivalgoers probably overpaid. A sample of Cooper’s “Born This Way” rewrite: “Call myself Alice, surprise my dad, he just didn’t understand / I wore my makeup, acted bad, but it was just all part of the plan / To be a freak is not a sin, there is nothing they can do / ‘Cause they’re not living in your skin, listen when I say to you.”
For the chorus, Cooper stays true to the original lyrics, which embrace LGBT rights. Just don’t expect a skimpy and/or see-through outfit a la Gaga, or much in the way of dance moves. That just isn’t the way Alice gets freaky.
Cooper also worked his “Born This Way” cover into his Friday (June 8) concert in Biloxi, Miss.
– Jillian Mapes, CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Win Tickets To See Chris Stapleton At PNC Or Jones Beach
- Win Tickets To See Shawn Mendes’ ‘Illuminate’ World Tour
- Coldplay Not Performing Israeli-Palestinian Peace Concerts
- Stream Foo Fighters Concert Live Right Now!
- Oscars Secrets Revealed + the Truth About the Red Carpet
- Win Tickets To The Game of Thrones Live Concert Experience