Behind The Scenes With Foster The People’s Mariachi Performance
While performing, Foster the People are often blurry enigmas, surrounded by a haze of sound and light. The mystery leads to an intoxicating show that helps the audience escape reality for an hour or so.
But in a brand-new Ashton Kutcher-produced video project for Thrashlab, Foster the People expose some of the backstage workings of their tour rituals–something they artistically tackled in their latest video for “Houdini” which features them as pop marionettes.
Director Brinton Bryan meets the group in Mexico City. In creatively cut shots, we see the band getting ready for their show, their backstage vices, and practicing (and subsequently performing) an amazing mariachi version of “Pumped Up Kicks.”
— Foster The People (@fosterthepeople) May 30, 2012
Watch Foster the People perform a mariachi version of “Pumped Up Kicks” below.
This isn’t the first time Foster the People has worked with mariachi musicians. In their “Warrior” collaboration with A-Trak and Kimbra for Converse, Mark Foster was shown in a luchador-themed music video.
The video utilized green screen technology, so Foster and company were not actually with the mariachis or on the wrestling mat.
“We had such a deadline to work to and we were all kind of on tour at different places, so we just kind of had to work with what we could,” Kimbra said. “Even the song itself, I was recording a lot of those vocals in an airport in Germany, like singing into my Macbook. You know it was a very 21st century collaboration.”
- Nadia Noir, CBS Radio Los Angeles
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Fans Call for Beyoncé to Boycott Dress Designer After Supposed Racist Comment
- Hozier Soundtracks LeBron James’ Return to Akron: Watch
- Interview: Gavin Rossdale on Bush, Gwen & Being Young and Dumb
- Taylor Swift Announces New Song ‘Welcome to New York': Listen to a Preview
- Coldplay to Release Live Album, DVD Called ‘Ghost Stories Live 2014′ This November
- Gwen Stefani Just Wants a Little Honesty on New Track, ‘Baby Don’t Lie': Listen