Alanis Morissette On Katy Perry, Feeling Isolated
Currently promoting her single “Guardian” and August album release Havoc and Bright Lights, Alanis Morissette called into Y98/St.Louis to talk of her growing acceptance in the music world and the surprising compliments she’s been receiving from artists like Katy Perry.
Katy Perry introduced her performance on The Ellen DeGeneres Show last week with much praise.
“Ellen’s next guest has sold over 60 million albums and is one of the reasons why I became a songwriter,” Perry said before Alanis performed her new single. Alanis reflected on this during her interview.
“It’s really, really sweet because during the mid-90s for me I was pretty isolated,” she said. “This new chapter with different singer-songwriters that are out right now, I feel really connected with them now. I feel like I have sisters out there now.”
Alanis continued to explain that it’s more of a sisterhood today whereas in the 90s “a lot of women at the time wanted to scratch my eyes out.”
While she joked that the anger is still there, her lifestyle and being a new mother has allowed her to continue her career path as a singer.
“I think part of why I can be a philosopher in my own way and afford my family whatever it is that I can afford is because of the lifestyle that I’m in,” she said. “It’s all set up so that I can write, so that I can stay up until four in the morning and think about these things and attempt to educate myself and other people at the same time.”
- Annie Reuter CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- We Can Survive Recap: Taylor Swift, Pharrell, Ariana Grande Dazzle the Hollywood Bowl
- Danny DeVito Steals the Show in One Direction’s ‘Steal My Girl’ Video: Watch
- Ariana Grande, Maroon 5, Pharrell & Tim McGraw to Perform on ‘A Very GRAMMY Christmas’
- Impact: Taylor Swift Reveals Her Pop Side on New Album ‘1989’
- Matt Nathanson Partners with Starkey Hearing Foundation to Raise Awareness for the Hearing Impaired
- #InThatOrder: Ranking Maroon 5 Albums From Worst To Best