“When I start ‘Only Wanna Be With You’ or ‘Let Her Cry’ or ‘Hold My Hand’ I just can’t believe the sound of the audience. How could you not want to hear that crowd every night? That’s where it’s for me right there,” he said. “Those songs changed radio back in the mid-90s. People are very fond of those tunes and I’m very proud of them.”
Sometimes a song takes on new meaning years after it’s first release. That’s the case for “Let Her Cry.”
“I wrote that song so quick. Just one night doing something wrote a song. It’s my favorite song to play,” Rucker said.
While “Let Her Cry” may be his favorite song to perform, Rucker said he’ll never forget when he heard “Hold My Hand” on the radio for the first time driving to the golf course with band member Dean Felber.
“You have to realize we were a band nine years before we got a record deal so we had been playing ‘Hold My Hand’ for five years. It came on the radio and we turned it. That was us back then,” he said. “Not now. I listen to them now absolutely.”
Rucker further explained that he appreciates all his success.
“I’m a cover band singer from Charleston, South Carolina, that got real lucky so I don’t take any of this stuff for granted,” he said. “Especially not anymore because I know how big it can be and how fast I can go away.”
For fans hoping for a Hootie & the Blowfish reunion, Rucker says it’s not far off.
“Oh yeah, Hootie’s going to do another record some day. We’re going to do another record and one more tour and have fun with it and do it the right way.”
– Annie Reuter CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Exclusive: Selena Gomez Denies Collaborating with The Weeknd on New Music
- Ariana Grande Posts Heartfelt Letter to Bombing Victims, Plans Benefit Concert
- Hanson’s Kids Star in Adorable ‘I Was Born’ Video
- #TeamTooMuch: You’ll Never Believe Mariah Carey’s Diva Demands On The Set Of Her New Film!
- ‘Despacito’ Beat Works on Every Pop Song. Here’s Proof.
- Actor Playing Michael Jackson in New Movie Responds to Criticism