Hello Sailors! Fleet Week 2012 Arrives In NYC
A flotilla of 17 tall ships and 10 warships from across the world will enter New York Harbor and over 6,000 sailors in uniform will be in the city over Memorial Day weekend.
The vessels begin beneath the Verrazano Bridge, head past the Statue of Liberty and up the Hudson River before turning around at the George Washington Bridge. The first ships will be seen from lower Manhattan around 9:15 am and this will be the largest Fleet Week in decades.
This year’s Fleet Week commemorates the bicentennial of the War of 1812 and the penning of ”The Star-Spangled Banner.”
Here’s the schedule for this morning:
- 8:11am – The Parade of Sail passes beneath the Verrazano Bridge.
- 9:18am – The flotilla reaches the Statue of Liberty.
- 10:30am – The U.S. Military Parade of Ships sails from the Verrazano Bridge.
- 11:07am – The Parade of Sail turns around at the George Washington Bridge.
- Noon – The Parade of Sail and the Parade of Ships pass each other at the Intrepid before docking at berths in Staten Island, Brooklyn and Manhattan.
You can visit the ships starting tomorrow through next Tuesday from 8 am to 5 pm at the following locations:
- In Manhattan you can see the ships at Piers 90 and 92
- In Staten Island you can visit the Home Port Pier in Stapleton
- In Brooklyn, you should head over to Piers 7 and 8
Check out this list of events and be sure to check back for links, photos, videos and more of Fleet Week 2012! Hoorah!
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Ariana Grande Wants You to Drink More WAT-AAH!: See The Photos
- Mary Lambert Does One Mic, One Take Version of ‘So Far Away’ [Premiere]
- Mary J. Blige Turns Up the Dance Floor Heat with New Single, ‘Nobody But You': Listen
- Maroon 5’s ‘Animals’ Video Deemed ‘Dangerous’ by the Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network
- Jay Z-Solange Elevator Fight Recreated on ‘Law & Order: SVU’ Episode
- Puff Daddy Raves About Former Girlfriend Jennifer Lopez’s Booty