NEW YORK (WFAN/AP) — Just call him the sultan of the auction block.
A baseball jersey worn by Babe Ruth sold for more than $4.4 million Sunday, a record for any item of sports memorabilia, according to the buyer and seller.
SCP Auctions, based in California, said the circa 1920 New York Yankees uniform top is the earliest known jersey worn by Ruth and it fetched $4,415,658 at the company’s April auction, which ended Sunday. That price broke the previous record of $4,338,500 set in 2010 for James Naismith’s founding rules of basketball.
“We are honored to, once again, be a part of history,” SCP Auctions president David Kohler said in a statement. “This proves again that Babe Ruth is ‘king’ in the sports memorabilia world.”
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Lea Michele Announces Debut Album, Releases New Song ‘Cannonball’
- Behind the Song: Robin Thicke’s ‘Blurred Lines’
- Do Better Looks Mean Better Grades For High School Students?
- Watch: Britney Spears Plugs Her Own Fragrance in ‘Perfume’ Video
- Jim & Kim’s 12 Days Of Christmas Toys: Battroborg 3-in-1 Battle Arena
- Live: Rod Stewart Brings Vegas to Madison Square Garden