Keane Say They Have Never Fit In, But Debut At #1 In The UK
On May 7th Keane released their fifth album Strangeland, featuring the single “Silenced by the Night.”
“We’ve had our ups and downs in terms of people’s perceptions of us, we’ve never been a band whoever gone with style or fashion,” said Chaplin. “We’ve made records instinctively, not to keep up with anything.”
“We’ve always felt like an alternative band, it’s part of who we are, even as people we felt a bit like that,” explained Chaplin. “Growing up, we felt different and I think our career has borne that out, especially given the current musical climate.”
Despite feeling they don’t fit in, Keane’s latest effort debuted at #1 in the U.K. this week and #17 in the U.S.. Chaplin posted a thank you to their fans on the band’s website, saying, “Eight years ago we set out on a pretty extraordinary adventure, happy in the knowledge that just releasing a record was enough for us as a struggling band! It’s a fairly surreal but lovely feeling to find that further on down the road we’ve now reached five out of five number one albums.”
Keane talked about where their native lands in an interview with KROQ/Los Angeles. Chaplin stating that the band tended to sing about “things they know about” like nature, rivers, and towns, such as the small one Keane came from.
“The other thing that’s in a lot of the songs is the world town,” he elaborated. “[At a recent gig], I was standing onstage and I got about halfway through the gig and I thought, ‘I must have sung the word town at least fifteen times already.'”
-Nadia Noir, CBS Radio Los Angeles
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Ashlee Simpson, Mark Zuckerberg, Ice T & Coco: Everyone In Hollywood Is Having Baby Girls
- Jessica Alba’s Honest Company Under Fire For Sunscreen Sunburns
- Lady Gaga Teases New Album with ‘LG5′ Message
- Watch Taylor Swift Sing ‘Am I Wrong’ with Nico and Vinz
- What Is Mariah Carey Working on with Justin Bieber and French Montana?
- #OnTheList with Xtine: 4 Musicians You Will Instantly Fall In Love With After One Listen