Dark Shadows had a respectable opening weekend at the box office and may have rock group The Killers to thank. The second most popular movie in theaters this weekend, Dark Shadows features the band covering a popular song from the 70′s.
Based on vampires, werewolves, zombies, man-made monsters, witches, warlocks and time travel, Dark Shadows was considered a hit when it aired as a ground-breaking daytime soap opera in the late 1960′s.
Taking in a haul of $28 million, the 2012 Tim Burton film stars Johnny Depp, Michelle Pfeiffer, Helena Bonham Carter and Eva Green.
At the end of the film, Killers fans will hear an uncanny similarity to the original recording of the Raspberries’ 1972 hit “Go All The Way.” Back in ’72, the single was a top 5 Billboard hit and received little revival in 2000 when Cameron Crowe featured it in his film Almost Famous.
Our old pal Tim Burton asked us to record a cover song for his new film #DarkShadows. It opens everywhere Friday. See you at the movies..
— The Killers (@thekillers) May 11, 2012
The Rasberries were a 70s power pop group known best for their hit singles “Go All the Way,” “Let’s Pretend,” “I Wanna Be with You,” and “Tonight.” Formed in Cleveland, Ohio, the band was influenced by the British Invasion including artists like the Beatles, the Who, the Hollies, and Small Faces.
The Rasberries broke up in 1975 and frontman Eric Carmen continued as a solo artist. He led a successful career as a solo artist and went on to sing popular hits “All By Myself,” “Never Gonna Fall in Love Again,” and “Hungry Eyes.”
Listen to The Killers’ version and the 1972 original.
Dark Shadows is now playing in theaters everywhere.
- Jay Tilles with additional reporting by Annie Reuter CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- And the GRAMMY Nominees Are: Jay Z, Kendrick Lamar, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis and Justin Timberlake
- GRAMMY Nominees 2014: The Full List
- R. Kelly Honors Nelson Mandela on ‘Arsenio Hall Show’
- Watch Daft Punk’s Video for ‘Instant Crush’ Featuring Julian Casablancas
- Interview: Travie McCoy Talks Collaborating with Jason Mraz on New Single, ‘Rough Water’
- Alicia Keys Unlocks Her Music Vault On New Interactive Fan Site