Freddie Mercury To Appear As An ‘Optical Illusion’ In Queen Musical Tonight
Although Freddie Mercury passed away in 1991, Queen has soldiered on, even releasing and album and touring with Paul Rodgers as the lead singer. To quote their own song, Queen isn’t ready to bite the dust just yet. Their stage musical, We Will Rock You, has seen productions worldwide, is commemorating its tenth anniversary by giving its hometown crowd something a little extra beginning tonight. The show will be featuring a special guest cast member – Freddie Mercury.
The anniversary performance, which will take place at London’s Dominion Theatre where the musical initially launched in May 2002, will bridge the gap between sci-fi and reality. An “optical illusion” of Freddie Mercury will join the cast on stage during the show, and is said to be so lifelike that the audience will not even know the difference.
Queen guitarist Brian May, who collaborated in writing the musical with fellow bandmate Roger Taylor and British comedian Ben Elton, told the BBC that they had been trying to find a way to get Freddie to appear on stage for quite a while. Those involved with Freddie’s return to the stage are making it clear that this appearance is much different than the hologram Tupac Shakur performance at Coachella Music & Arts festival last month. In his interview, May also suggested that although the “optical illusion” is being premiered for the 10th anniversary of We Will Rock You, it will continue to be part of the show which runs eight times a week.
-Ryan Bergh / 98.5 WNCX
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Danny DeVito Steals the Show in One Direction’s ‘Steal My Girl’ Video: Watch
- Ariana Grande, Maroon 5, Pharrell & Tim McGraw to Perform on ‘A Very GRAMMY Christmas’
- Impact: Taylor Swift Reveals Her Pop Side on New Album ‘1989’
- Matt Nathanson Partners with Starkey Hearing Foundation to Raise Awareness for the Hearing Impaired
- #InThatOrder: Ranking Maroon 5 Albums From Worst To Best
- Ariana Grande Started Questioning Catholicism After Brother Came Out as Gay