When the news came a few weeks ago that Mick Jagger will host and perform on the season finale of Saturday Night Live, the one thing missing from the announcement was which band would be backing him up. Since the Rolling Stones have made it clear that they’re saving their 50th anniversary tour for 2013, the logical assumption was that Jagger would simply be backed by the SNL house band.
Well, it seems the Stones frontman has other high-profile artists in mind for his backing band, and it’s not his own supergroup with Dave Stewart and Joss Stone, SuperHeavy. Entertainment Weekly revealed today that Jagger will be backed by the Foo Fighters and Arcade Fire during his Saturday Night Live stint on May 19.
Both rock bands tweeted their enthusiasm over their Jagger collaboration.
What’re you guys doing next Saturday Night? #SNL
— Foo Fighters (@foofighters) May 11, 2012
We’re extremely excited to be joining Mick Jagger on SNL next Sat, May 19! — Arcade Fire (@arcadefire) May 11, 2012
This will be Jagger’s first time hosting SNL and third time as musical guest. The Rolling Stones co-hosted and performed on the show in 1978. (Among this group of music stars, it’s Foo Fighters frontman Dave Grohl who wins the award for most SNL appearances, with 11 past performances under his belt.)
Jagger proved in 2001 that he had no problem making fun of himself for the sake of comedy, appearing in an SNL sketch in which cast member Jimmy Fallon imitated him to his face.
–Jillian Mapes, CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Exclusive: Selena Gomez Denies Collaborating with The Weeknd on New Music
- Ariana Grande Posts Heartfelt Letter to Bombing Victims, Plans Benefit Concert
- Hanson’s Kids Star in Adorable ‘I Was Born’ Video
- #TeamTooMuch: You’ll Never Believe Mariah Carey’s Diva Demands On The Set Of Her New Film!
- ‘Despacito’ Beat Works on Every Pop Song. Here’s Proof.
- Actor Playing Michael Jackson in New Movie Responds to Criticism