Happy Birthday Adele
Adele has taken us from 19 to 21, but today we’re celebrating the new number in her life, 24. The soulful singer is celebrating her birthday today (May 5) and in her honor we’ve lined up four facts about her latest release.
1. “Rolling in the Deep” was the first single off of 21, but who knew it was created nearly three years ago in the basement of a Chinese restaurant. Originally written as the singer’s response to a sleazy guy at a club, it soon became the kiss off to the ex-boyfriend that would become the inspiration for the entire album.
2. The lovelorn ballad “Turning Tables” was the first song Adele wrote for 21. OneRepublic’s Ryan Tedder helped produce the track after the two had a rather awkward run-in. “The Grammys in 2009—we were both staying in the same hotel. I got in the elevator with about a hundred heart balloons,” she said. “Then Ryan got in as well and all he could hear is my cackle, which I think has become a bit infamous. And he was kind of searching through the balloons to find me, and we were like, ‘Amazing. We’ve definitely got to work together now.’”
3. Adele said “Set Fire To The Rain” was written for a friend who wanted her to write a “gay camp anthem.” The song ended up becoming a liberating song for anyone whose trying to take things into their own hands after having their heart broken.
4. It’s no surprise to hear that Adele got a little teary while recording “Someone Like You.” The songstress even admitted she almost gave up on the song, which was written about being an old spinster and seeing your ex happily married, because it was so painful to write. In the end, the song summed up her entire bad relationship and has become the song Adele’s most proud of. “I don’t think I’ll write a nicer or better song,” she said. “I think that might be my song.”
-Shannon Carlin, CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Taylor Swift Wants Her Belly Button to Remain a ‘Mystery’
- Interview: Charli XCX on ‘Sucker,’ Working with Weezer and Chilling at the White House
- Beyoncé’s New Song ‘Ring Off’ Is a Tribute to Her Mom
- Metallica Unleash ‘Enter Sandman’ on Fourth Night of ‘Late Late Show’ Residency: Watch
- Bruno Mars & Mark Ronson Do Everything Wrong in ‘SNL’ Teaser: Watch
- One Direction Sit Down With ‘Ellen’ To Talk Taylor Swift, Bad Disguises & Weddings