Jewel To Play June Carter Cash In New Lifetime Biopic
Titled The June Carter Cash Story, the TV movie will tell the life story of June, who was daughter of legendary country artist Mother Maybelle Carter (of country group the Carter Family) and wife to another country legend, Johnny Cash. June and Johnny married in 1968, and they both died in 2003.
The film is based on the book Anchored in Love: An Intimate Portrait of June Carter Cash, which was written by June and Johnny’s son, John Carter Cash. Richard Friedenberg (A River Runs Through It) is writing the screenplay, and it will be directed by Allison Anders, a veteran filmmaker whose previous work as director includes Gas Food Lodging, Grace of My Heart, and Border Radio.
Johnny Cash will be played by actor Matt Ross (Big Love, American Horror Story).
June Carter was famously played by Reese Witherspoon in Walk The Line, which focused on the Johnny and June love story. This time, the film is about June and her fascinating life story, which including singing with her sisters, Anita and and Helen, as part of the Carter Family and, later, as Mother Maybelle and the Carter Sisters.
The Carters were country music royalty, and so June befriended all sorts of legendary artists, including Chet Atkins (who played guitar with the group), Carl Smith (her first husband, whom she married in 1952–singer Carlene Carter is their daughter), Elvis Presley, and Hank Williams.
The acting career of GRAMMY-winning singer Jewel includes both films (Ride with the Devil, Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story) and television (Men in Trees, Las Vegas).
-Kurt Wolff, CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Interview: Gavin Rossdale on Bush, Gwen & Being Young and Dumb
- Taylor Swift Announces New Song ‘Welcome to New York': Listen to a Preview
- Coldplay to Release Live Album, DVD Called ‘Ghost Stories Live 2014′ This November
- Gwen Stefani Just Wants a Little Honesty on New Track, ‘Baby Don’t Lie': Listen
- Live: Lana Del Rey Slays at Hollywood Forever Cemetery
- Bono’s Sunglasses Are Not a Fashion Statement — He Has Glaucoma