With his well-coiffed pompadour, it’s no surprise that Chris Isaak is a big Elvis Presley fan. Now, in a new concert special he’s honoring the King of Rock’n'Roll, amongst others who recorded at the legendary Sun Studio in Memphis, Tennessee.
On June 2, the singer’s new special Chris Isaak: Beyond the Sun Live! will premiere on PBS. The live show, taped in February on the same soundstage as Austin City Limits, has Isaak performing his own hits like “Wicked Game” along with classics from Sun artists like Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison and Jerry Lee Lewis.
Isaak even performs two songs with The Queen of Rockabilly herself, Wanda Jackson, who not only recorded in Sun Studio but dated Elvis.
Isaak released the album, Beyond the Sun, in October to celebrate the work of Sun Studio owner Sam Philips, someone he has always admired.
“To have built the studio in the middle of Memphis way back when, to set up your recorder, and to have found all those singers…and get those amazing performances…he was really way out there on his own,” Isaak said on his website.
The singer kicks off his Beyond the Sun tour May 14 in Alexandria, Virginia. Check out the full list of tour dates below.
5/14 Alexandria, VA- The Birchmere
5/15 Alexandria, VA- The Birchmere
6/28 Beverly, MA- North Shore Music Theatre
6/30 Webster, MA- Indian Ranch
7/22 Woodinville, WA- Chateau Ste. Michelle Winery
7/26 Calgary, AB- Calgary Folk Music Festival
7/28 Goldendale, WA- Maryhill Winery Amphitheater
7/31 Ventura, CA- The Majestic Ventura Theatre
8/01 Anaheim, CA- City National Grove of Anaheim
8/02 San Diego, CA- Humphrey’s By the Bay
8/06 Saratoga, CA- The Mountain Winery
8/07 Saratoga, CA- The Mountain Winery
8/10 Billings, MT- Magic City Blues Festival
- Shannon Carlin, CBS Local
Latest from Fresh1027.com >
- R. Kelly Honors Nelson Mandela on ‘Arsenio Hall Show’
- Watch Daft Punk’s Video for ‘Instant Crush’ Featuring Julian Casablancas
- Interview: Travie McCoy Talks Collaborating with Jason Mraz on New Single, ‘Rough Water’
- Alicia Keys Unlocks Her Music Vault On New Interactive Fan Site
- John Mayer On Those ‘Smoldering’ “Who You Love” Photos & Duet with Katy Perry
- Peter Gabriel Remembers Nelson Mandela: ‘It Leaves an Enormous Hole’