“The Voice’s” Jesse Campbell Says “I Forgot The Words To ‘Halo'”
Imagine singing for millions of people on a reality show. Better yet, imagine singing for Christina Aguilera on a reality show. That is exactly what The Voice contestant Jesse Campbell did last week when he was eliminated from the show. His final performance was to Beyonce’s “Halo” and he isn’t likely to ever forget it.
In part because he forgot the words to the famous song just as he was about to begin performing.
“I got so nervous before it happened that I forgot every single word,” Campbell told CBS Local. “I couldn’t even remember the very first world. And the music started and I was panicking I was like, ‘Oh my God, oh my God.'”
Contestants on The Voice are not singing karaoke. There is no teleprompter on stage to help them with song lyrics in a pinch.
When no stage hands or producers were on hand to help Campbell, who cut his teeth singing in the church, he turned to God for an assist.
“If I don’t remember the words then I’m just gonna have to hum until I remember them,” Campbell recounted. “And I’m gonna have to make fun of it…I just said, ‘Oh my God please Father help me remember.”
Campbell began singing to himself, “Remember the first word. Remember those walls I built? Well baby they’re tumbling down.”
As the lyrics came back to him, Campbell said, “My voice was shaky because I was still coming off of the nervousness of forgetting the words just moments before.”
The Voice continues eliminating contestants tonight, with Teams Adam and Cee Lo on the chopping block.
-Courtney E. Smith, CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Chris Martin Walks Into a Bar, Plays Free Acoustic Show
- Did Rihanna Enact a Real Revenge Fantasy In the ‘BBHHM’ Video?
- Katherine Heigl and Alexis Bledel Star in Lesbian Love Story ‘Jenny’s Wedding': Watch
- You Will be Watching Music Videos Through Facebook Very Soon
- The New ‘Wet Hot American Summer’ Series Looks Funny and Very Twisted: Watch the Trailer
- Say Hello To Quasi Modo, the World’s Ugliest Dog