Gotye Likes ‘Glee,’ Really He Does
Yesterday, Gotye made headlines for dissing the Glee cover of his song “Somebody I Used To Know.” But guess what? It was all a big misunderstanding.
In an interview over the weekend with Australia’s Sunday Mail, the singer made a few comments about his song, which was featured in the show’s April 10 episode. “They did such a faithful arrangement of the instrumentals but the vocals were that pop Glee style, ultra-dry, sounded pretty tuned and the rock has no real sense,” he told the paper, “like it’s playing to you from a cardboard box.” But, Gotye didn’t mean that in a bad way.
At a small afternoon concert in LA yesterday, he told the audience that it was “clever to transpose the songs to two guys… It was a great idea.” In the episode, Blaine (Darren Criss) and his estranged older brother played by Matt Bomer (White Collar) turn the song into a duet that helps repair their broken relationship.
He also had a bone to pick with himself over a certain instrument choice. “The nature of using reverb and space in a recording can change your perception of how a sound appeals to you,” he said. “This xylophone hook in my song — it’s kind of dinky not just in the cover version but the original song.”
Do you agree with Gotye’s assessment? Check out the original version of “Somebody That I Used To Know” and the Glee cover, both below.
– Shannon Carlin, CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Tiesto & Martin Garrix’s Boat Crash Landed… Into David Guetta’s Dock: See the Photos
- Michael Jackson Is Apparently to Blame for Guns N’ Roses’ Breakup
- Zayn Malik Leaving One Direction Caused a ‘Spike of Sadness’ in Spotify Streams
- 5 Rihanna Movie Appearances Before ‘Home’
- Here’s a Passover-Themed Parody of ‘Uptown Funk’
- Boston Mayor Has a Message: ‘We Must Soldier On’ Without Zayn Malik