Back in January, Amnesty International brought together nearly 80 artists to cover Bob Dylan’s biggest hits and personal favorites for the organization’s four-disc Chimes of Freedom tribute. Among the wide-ranging cast of characters providing covers were Dylan’s peers — Pete Townshend, Joan Baez, Jeff Beck and more — as well as many contemporary artists whose Dylan influence is fairly obvious.
But the compilation also highlighted a handful of unlikely suspects — pop stars whose work seems to have little in common with Dylan’s, a la Ke$ha, Miley Cyrus, and Glee star Darren Criss. Now Criss, who plays popular character Blaine on the TV musical, has made a music video for his acoustic cover of choice, “New Morning,” off Dylan’s 1970 album of the same name. Watch below.
Joining in the clip is Darren’s brother, Chuck Criss of the indie rock act Freelance Whales, who skillfully harmonizes with the “Glee” actor on the cover for “Chimes of Freedom.” The result is a sparser, more delicate take on Dylan’s upbeat, groove-filled original. The video shows the brothers in the studio recording the track and goofing around.
Criss seems to be quite the Dylan fan, performing theTime Out of Mind track “Make You Feel My Love” alongside fellow Glee star Lea Michele at the Jonsson Cancer Center Foundation’s Taste for a Cure Gala in L.A. on Friday (April 20).
–Jillian Mapes, CBS Local
Latest from Fresh1027.com >
- Watch the Trailer for ‘Michael Jackson’s Halloween’
- Apples That NEVER Turn Brown Are Here!
- K-Pop Group EXO Is Doing Something More Artists Should Do
- Demi Lovato Discusses Eating Disorder, Shares Before-and-After Photo
- Jennifer Lopez, A-Rod, Marc Anthony Raise $35 Million for Puerto Rico
- Ed Sheeran Cancels Seven Tour Dates After Fracturing Wrist and Elbow