Lady Gaga Starts Twitter Weight Debate
Lady Gaga has been outspoken in her crusade against bullying, starting the Born This Way Foundation, whose mission statement is “to foster a more accepting society, where differences are embraced and individuality is celebrated” and whose stated end goal is to create “a braver, kinder world.”
But Gaga seems to have stepped into controversy this week when she Tweeted about her new fitness routine while gearing up for her European Born This Way tour.
— Lady Gaga (@ladygaga) April 10, 2012
Many fans did not react well to the #PopSingersDontEat hash tag.
@ladygaga not the best message to promote…
— ♔ Sophie ♔ (@MsEditrice) April 11, 2012
@ladygaga I love you with my heart, but what the hell!? “Pop singers don’t eat”… I want to sing. I have an ED. Not very encouraging, Gaga.
— Darcy Queen (@TheDarcyQueen) April 11, 2012
— dontmesswithLOVATICS (@Lovatic_swagg) April 13, 2012
It was wrong for Lady Gaga to tweet #popsingersdonteat. Respect = gone.
— McCann’s whore ϟ (@DaKidrauhlNavy) April 13, 2012
Many fans have voiced concern back to Gaga via Twitter that she is promoting eating disorders and that the comment is not congruous with her message of acceptance. Gaga admitted to Vanity Fair in a 2010 interview that she battled bulimia early in her career.
The National Eating Disorders Association commented as well, Tweeting out a link and asking, “What’s up with Lady Gaga’s #PopSingersDontEat Tweet?”
Gaga has not commented further.
-Courtney E. Smith, CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Chris Martin Walks Into a Bar, Plays Free Acoustic Show
- Did Rihanna Enact a Real Revenge Fantasy In the ‘BBHHM’ Video?
- Katherine Heigl and Alexis Bledel Star in Lesbian Love Story ‘Jenny’s Wedding': Watch
- You Will be Watching Music Videos Through Facebook Very Soon
- The New ‘Wet Hot American Summer’ Series Looks Funny and Very Twisted: Watch the Trailer
- Say Hello To Quasi Modo, the World’s Ugliest Dog