Nicki Minaj Beats Madonna In Record Sales
South side Queens native Nicki Minaj debuted at number one on the Billboard Charts with her newest album Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded. Selling 253,000 copies (according to Nielson Soundscan), Miss. Minaj broke the expected sales figures of 215,000 to 235,000.
The album features the spitfire Nicki we all know and love, as can be heard on the hip hop heavy single “Beez In The Trap” plus a few fun dance hits including “Whip It,” the top 40 hit single “Starships” and the pseudo-ballad “Marilyn Monroe.” Half her album, including the single “Starships,” was produced by Lady Gaga and Jennifer Lopez producer RedOne.
Madonna, who has been deemed “queen of pop” for decades now hasn’t been nearly as successful as Nicki, and has suffered the biggest second week sales drop in chart history. Prior to her comeback album’s release, several video and audio teasers made MDNA one of the most anticipated albums of the season but has since broken a new record by dropping eighty-seven percent since its debut to number eight with sales of 44,000.
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Led Zeppelin Announces Reissues of ‘Untitled’ Fourth LP and ‘Houses of the Holy’
- Maroon 5 Finally Find More Than a Friend in ‘It Was Always You’
- Single Again: Eve 6 – ‘Inside Out’
- Ariana Grande, Nicki Minaj & Jessie J Join Forces for Sassy New Song ‘Bang Bang’
- Lady Gaga & Tony Bennett To Release Jazz Duets Album ‘Cheek to Cheek’ This Fall
- Q&A: La Roux Faces Sexism Amid Her Summery, ’70s Sci-Fi Album ‘Trouble In Paradise’