The Wanted Are Most Wanted Boy Band
Kelly Clarkson, songwriter for the other Brit boy band One Direction, is currently at the top of the Billboard pop charts with “Stronger” but she’s in an Indian leg wrestling match with The Wanted to hold on to the slot. All bets are on for The Wanted to unseat Kelly and become #1 this week.
Billboard points out that The Wanted are heralding the return of boy bands, saying that “Glad You Came” will be the first #1 debut track from a boy band since Hanson took the world by storm with “MMMBop” in 1997. They didn’t forget about boy band favorites the Backstreet Boys or ‘NSYNC — the two simply didn’t get to #1 with their debut tracks like The Wanted are. In fact, neither reached #1 on the charts until their 7th singles.
What makes The Wanted so special? A lot of credit goes to Glee for covering “Glad You Came” and kickstarting the hit. Replicating their UK success after an X Factor performance by performing on American Idol last week was a smart move. And a video shot in the party capitol of Europe, Ibiza, certainly doesn’t hurt.
The Wanted’s selt-titled debut EP will be released in the U.S. on April 24.
-Courtney E. Smith, CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Listen to Robin Gibb’s ‘Days of Wine and Roses’ from Upcoming Final Album
- Neil Young, Pearl Jam, Tom Jones to Play Bridge School Benefit
- President Obama Visits Student Who Wished for Beyoncé Instead
- Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding & Calvin Harris to Perform at the Bermuda Triangle on Halloween
- Impact: Train Aims to ‘Get Into People’s Lives’ with ‘Bulletproof Picasso’
- Rihanna Cut From ‘Thursday Night Football’ Because Of Ray Rice