The Wanted Are Most Wanted Boy Band
Kelly Clarkson, songwriter for the other Brit boy band One Direction, is currently at the top of the Billboard pop charts with “Stronger” but she’s in an Indian leg wrestling match with The Wanted to hold on to the slot. All bets are on for The Wanted to unseat Kelly and become #1 this week.
Billboard points out that The Wanted are heralding the return of boy bands, saying that “Glad You Came” will be the first #1 debut track from a boy band since Hanson took the world by storm with “MMMBop” in 1997. They didn’t forget about boy band favorites the Backstreet Boys or ‘NSYNC — the two simply didn’t get to #1 with their debut tracks like The Wanted are. In fact, neither reached #1 on the charts until their 7th singles.
What makes The Wanted so special? A lot of credit goes to Glee for covering “Glad You Came” and kickstarting the hit. Replicating their UK success after an X Factor performance by performing on American Idol last week was a smart move. And a video shot in the party capitol of Europe, Ibiza, certainly doesn’t hurt.
The Wanted’s selt-titled debut EP will be released in the U.S. on April 24.
-Courtney E. Smith, CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Led Zeppelin Announces Reissues of ‘Untitled’ Fourth LP and ‘Houses of the Holy’
- Maroon 5 Finally Find More Than a Friend in ‘It Was Always You’
- Single Again: Eve 6 – ‘Inside Out’
- Ariana Grande, Nicki Minaj & Jessie J Join Forces for Sassy New Song ‘Bang Bang’
- Lady Gaga & Tony Bennett To Release Jazz Duets Album ‘Cheek to Cheek’ This Fall
- Q&A: La Roux Faces Sexism Amid Her Summery, ’70s Sci-Fi Album ‘Trouble In Paradise’