The Supergroup That Almost Was: David Bowie, Ray Davies & Damon Albarn
Damon Albarn, the man behind ’90s Britpoppers Blur and animated act Gorillaz, is one busy man. He’s worked with his fair share of notable players, from soul legend Bobby Womack and the Clash’s Paul Simonon for Gorillaz records to the Red Hot
Chilli Peppers’ Flea on a new side project. Now Albarn has admitted that he was part of a supergroup with David Bowie and The Kinks’ Ray Davies – for a mere 24 hours.
“I do genuinely like working with people but at the same time I don’t expect it to work, and there have been a lot of people who… a lot of things don’t happen,” Albarn told U.K. website The Quietus (via NME). “I mean, for about 24 hours, many years ago, I was making a record with David Bowie and Ray Davies. But that only lasted 24 hours… that was a long time ago, it’s not news, and it’s certainly not the case any more. The point is, I have played around with a lot of ideas and most of them don’t come to fruition.”
It is news for some, sure, but is it genuinely surprising? Albarn and Davies worked together previously, recording a duet of the Kinks’
“Waterloo Sunset” that appeared on the 2006 tribute This Is Where I Belong: The Songs Of Ray Davies And The Kinks. How Bowie got thrown into the mix is anyone’s guess, though he hasn’t released new material since 2003′s Reality.
–Jillian Mapes, CBS Local
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- The Music of ‘Walking Dead’ Season 4: Beth Sings Waxahatchee, Lee DeWyze Sings Bob’s Anthem
- Watch Beyoncé Make It Clear, She’s Not Bossy, She’s The Boss
- Justin Bieber’s Wink at the End of His Deposition Could Tear This World Asunder
- Lily Allen Reveals ‘Sheezus’ Release Date, New Song ‘Our Time’
- Kim’s College: Kristen Bell’s Latest Movie, Ghost Stories & Leo Lies!
- Anger Management On FX, Six Degrees Of Kevin Bacon & Justin Bieber Back At It: It’s The Hollywood Hotsheet!