Nicki Minaj Drops “Beez In The Trap,” Covers Complex
After yesterday’s release of the super poppy “Right By My Side” from Roman Reloaded, today’s leak of “Beez In The Trap,” featuring 2 Chainz, is a look at raw Nicki Minaj. It doesn’t sound like she is channeling any of her trademark characters on this track, other than giving a nod to Kanye West with the lyric “can’t tell me nothin’.”
This track puts Nicki’s verses over a very sparse production that, along with her slowed cadence and laconic style, throws back to the style of early, stripped down hip hop, but with a huge dose of Watch The Throne-style posturing. Minaj keeps it democratic despite the sound, name checking a laundry list of major cities from New York to Miami to Detroit.
This is just the latest in a barrage of Minaj publicity over the last week in anticipation of the April 3 release of Roman Reloaded. She’s also got a cover for Complex magazine landing on her album release date, in which she’s made up in the Minaj interpretation of an over-the-top geisha. When asked about her theatrics, Minaj told the mag, “…I’m not doing it for everyone else. I’m doing it to prove to myself that I can do it. To prove to myself that I don’t have to settle for less because I’m a female rapper or because I’m black.”
Minaj is well-known for the multiple personalities she’s developed for performances, but when asked about her off-stage persona Minaj says, “I’m the biggest homebody. But I’ve been like this. Nothing about me has changed since I got fame. I never liked to go to clubs. I never liked to go out. I don’t know where that public craziness came from.”
-Courtney E. Smith
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Beyoncé Lands the Cover of TIME’s 100 Most Influential People Issue
- Four Day Pop Up Cat Cafe! Don’t Miss It!
- Avril Lavigne Responds to Claims That Her ‘Hello Kitty’ Video is Racist
- Kim’s College: Tribeca Film Festival, No Kardashians In NJ & Pink Lyrics
- Joan Rivers Trash Talks Hostages, Clooney Stands Up For Obama & Khloe K Not Wanted In NJ: It’s The Hollywood Hotsheet!
- Justin Bieber Apologizes, Pleads Ignorance After Dishonorable Selfie In Japan