Kelly Clarkson To Mentor On New Music Competition Talent Show
No stranger to television talent shows, Kelly Clarkson will soon share her experiences as a mentor.
This summer, ABC will launch a new music competition. Called Duets, the American Idol winner will scour the country in search of undiscovered talent to mentor. Sugarland‘s Jennifer Nettles along with Lionel Richie and Robin Thicke will also take part in the project.
While the show competes with American Idol and The Voice, Duets will put a spin on the talent competition as each mentor will choose two singers to be their duet partners for weekly performances.
The winner of Duets will get a recording contract with Hollywood Records.
In an interview with Rolling Stone, Clarkson discusses her role as a mentor this season on The Voice.
“People have given me such a hard time,” she admits. “I came from a singing show, so I like singing shows, obviously. What was the big shocker there? I don’t know why people get all bent out of shape.”
A graduate of Season 1 of American Idol, she also discussed her Otis Redding and Marvin Gaye covers on the show and how she first got into soul music.
“That’s what I always gravitated to, for some reason even as a child. My stepdad would wake me up at frickin’ 6 a.m. playing Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard, and my mom was into Three Dog Night and Linda Ronstadt,” she said. “But I love Aretha and Otis and Bonnie Raitt — the heartfelt stuff. I hear so many singers that sound like vanilla vodka, like they’ve never had their hearts broken or ripped out. It kills me.”
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Nicki Minaj, One Direction, Charli XCX Coming to ‘SNL’
- Metallica Continue ‘Late Late Show’ Residency with ‘For Whom the Bell Tolls’: Listen
- Sia Offers ‘Iko Iko’ Cover in Pledge on Husband’s Kickstarter Campaign
- The Script’s Video for ‘No Good in Goodbye’ is an Intergalactic Experience: Watch
- Lana Del Rey is Sexually Assaulted in Unearthed NSFW Marilyn Manson Video
- Radiohead’s Jonny Greenwood Says Band is ‘Looking Down Avenues’ for Next Album