Many prominent webpages on the internet are taking the day off today. In a very unified protest against the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and PROTECT IP Act (PIPA) that Congress is thinking about passing, many of the most visited pages on the internet are participating in a blackout. The idea of SOPA is to stop illegal use of American copyrights, PIPA is to be able to track what websites each individual IP Address goes to. While that might sound good in theory, the enforcement would likely shut down websites like YouTube, Facebook and many other heavy hitters in the web world.
So in a sign of solidarity among the major players on the internet pages like Google, Wikipedia and Craigslist are “blacked out” today.
Many of the sites participating in the blackout will still function as normal, but will be blacking out their logo. Like Google:
But others like Craigslist are using this day to just raise awareness for their cause against SOPA & PIPA before allowing regular access to their sites.
Wikipedia is completely shutting down for the day. You can not use the site as normal, you will get redirected to this page:
And you can read all about SOPA and PIPA and how to join in their cause, but you can’t use Wikipedia in it’s normal state.
All the sites will be back to normal tomorrow. As for SOPA & PIPA, they aren’t dead in congress and the major web players are hoping this blackout will help raise awareness against these two acts.
But worry not, our internet friends. Fresh1027.com will be up and running all day… unless something REALLY bad happens.
Latest from Fresh1027.com >
- Daya Announces Headlining Tour Dates
- Lady Gaga Shares ‘Joanne’ Title Inspiration
- Win Tickets To See NeedToBreathe At The Beacon
- MTV Brings Back ‘TRL’ for One Day to Register Young Voters
- ‘On the Spot’ with Carson and Cane: How Much Does One Pound of Lemons Weigh?
- Could Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie Be the Next Celebrity Couple?
- FM Magazine: Boys & Girls Harbor 2016 Salute to Achievement
- Harry Styles Shares ‘Another Man’ Covers
- Jill Scott, Tyrese to Perform Soul Train Weekend 2016
- Drake Releases Short Film ‘Please Forgive Me’