The Rumours album, released in February of 1977, represented the most celebrated (and commercially successful era) of [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Fleetwood Mac[/lastfm]’s long career in music. The album went to #1 in both the United States and Britain, netted the band a GRAMMY, and went on to sell over 40 million copies worldwide.
But while this golden era for Fleetwood Mac’s music began in 1977, its harbinger was this song, released the year before.
“Go Your Own Way,” released in December of 1976, was the first single from Rumours, a preview of the things to come. It went to #10 on the U.S. charts.
Christine McVie, Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks shared songwriting duties almost equally three ways on Rumours. “Go Your Own Way” was a Buckingham contribution, and describes the end of his on-again/off-again relationship with Nicks, the most cutting line from the lyrics being “Packing up, shacking Up is all you want to do.”
Nicks denied she had ever shacked up with anyone, and wanted the line removed, but Buckingham didn’t relent, and it remained. It was one of many domestic problems that plagued the band during the creation of Rumours and its subsequent tour (the biggest coming last, the divorce of McVie with husband and fellow bandmate John McVie). It is a credit to Fleetwood Mac’s professionalism, if nothing else, that they were able to mint an album like Rumours amid such personal turmoil.
Add your thoughts to the comments below and take a look at more Video Classics…
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- John Mayer Responds to Katy Perry’s Sex Ranking
- The GRAMMYs Set to Return to Staples Center in Los Angeles
- Watch Lady Gaga Become a Substitute Teacher
- Beyoncé & JAY-Z Eye Really Expensive Mansion: Report
- Pharrell Working on New Albums from Ariana Grande, Justin Timberlake
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Unveils “Immigrants (We Get The Job Done)” Video
- Brandon Flowers Plays ‘The Man’ in The Killers’ New Video
- Universal Music Sues Prince Estate to Void Contract
- Katy Perry Addresses Those Orlando Bloom Nude Paddleboarding Pics
- Britney Spears Wants You to Know She Sings Live