Madonna’s Backhanded Compliment To Lady Gaga
It’s common pop knowledge that [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Lady Gaga[/lastfm] goes out of her way to distance herself from [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Madonna[/lastfm]. The little monsters’ ringleader has reportedly gone as far as firing her choreographer/creative director over making a verbal comparison of the two.
Madonna on the other hands seems to go out of her way to compare herself to Gaga.
This week, according to Glamour, Madonna reveals on the BBC’s Graham Norton Show that she feels a connection to Gaga saying “When I first saw her I was really impressed by her. She was cool. She did remind me of me back in the day.”
In an interview with Newsweek Madonna compared “Express Yourself” to “Born This Way” saying “I thought, this is a wonderful way to redo my song. I mean, I recognized the chord changes. I thought it was . . . interesting.”
Ouch, talk about layering on the passive-aggressive compliments!
Regardless, music builds on music with one generation laying the tracks for the next. Their personae and stage acts are by design and being somewhat formulaic similarities are bound to exist. You can’t really blame Gaga, a young and still rising star for not wanting to compare herself to the somewhat pigeon-holed “former Queen of Pop” but you also can’t blame Madonna for wanting to associate herself with an insanely popular pop phenomenon with a shared fan base.
What do you think? Let us know in the comments section below!
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Shania Twain Says New Album is In the Works
- 8-Seconds of White Noise from Taylor Swift Topped the Canadian iTunes Chart
- Sia Does ‘You’re Never Fully Dressed Without A Smile’ For ‘Annie’ Soundtrack: Listen
- Related Questions: Walk the Moon, ‘Shut Up and Dance’
- We Can Survive 2014: What Have the Performers Been Up To?
- Taylor Swift Teases New Song ‘Never Go Out of Style’ in Target Commercial: Watch
- Interview: Joe Perry on Marriage, His New Memoir and the Future of Aerosmith
- Annie Lennox Says Twerking Has Nothing to Do with Feminism
- There’s All Kinds of Color in Gwen Stefani’s Video for ‘Baby Don’t Lie': Watch
- UNICEF Using Music to Educate Liberia About Ebola with ‘Ebola is Real': Listen