One of the most storied songs in the rock and roll canon, “You’re So Vain” was [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Carly Simon[/lastfm]’s one and only #1 hit.
It’s not about Carly Simon’s former husband, [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]James Taylor[/lastfm], she’s confessed (though he did take a plane to Nova Scotia not long after the song came out). Nor is it about [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Mick Jagger[/lastfm], whose appearance as a backup singer on the song was nothing near the ruse that has become of rock legend. (He happened to be in town at the time of the recording.)
The most we will ever know about the person who is “so vain” in Carly’s biggest hit is that she had three or four different people in mind when she wrote the song. She’s not confessing to anything more than that.
She does give props to producer Richard Perry, though, whose perfectionism Simon has credited the song’s great success and lasting influence.
It spent three weeks at #1 starting January 6, 1973.
Read Michael Verity’s music reviews and get free MP3’s at MP3.com.
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Coldplay’s Chris Martin Reveals His Fasting Routine and Selling ‘The President’s First Album’
- Film Your Own ‘Hotline Bling’ Video in Toronto
- 6 Drake Collaborations We’d Like to See on ‘Views From the 6’
- Beyoncé to Launch New Clothing Line with Top Shop Owner Philip Green
- Watch Kelsea Ballerini Perform ‘Should’ve Been Us’ with Tori Kelly
- Watch Ellie Goulding Sing a Country Version of ‘Love Me Like You Do’
- *NSYNC Congratulate Adele on Breaking Their Sales Record
- Train Get ‘Up Close and Personal’ with Fans in NYC
- Win Tickets To The Holiday Lights Spectacular at Jones Beach
- Celebrate the Season with #GivingTuesday