One of the most storied songs in the rock and roll canon, “You’re So Vain” was [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Carly Simon[/lastfm]’s one and only #1 hit.
It’s not about Carly Simon’s former husband, [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]James Taylor[/lastfm], she’s confessed (though he did take a plane to Nova Scotia not long after the song came out). Nor is it about [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Mick Jagger[/lastfm], whose appearance as a backup singer on the song was nothing near the ruse that has become of rock legend. (He happened to be in town at the time of the recording.)
The most we will ever know about the person who is “so vain” in Carly’s biggest hit is that she had three or four different people in mind when she wrote the song. She’s not confessing to anything more than that.
She does give props to producer Richard Perry, though, whose perfectionism Simon has credited the song’s great success and lasting influence.
It spent three weeks at #1 starting January 6, 1973.
Read Michael Verity’s music reviews and get free MP3’s at MP3.com.
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Exclusive: Selena Gomez Denies Collaborating with The Weeknd on New Music
- Ariana Grande Posts Heartfelt Letter to Bombing Victims, Plans Benefit Concert
- Hanson’s Kids Star in Adorable ‘I Was Born’ Video
- #TeamTooMuch: You’ll Never Believe Mariah Carey’s Diva Demands On The Set Of Her New Film!
- ‘Despacito’ Beat Works on Every Pop Song. Here’s Proof.
- Actor Playing Michael Jackson in New Movie Responds to Criticism
- Niall Horan Peer Pressures Jimmy Fallon into Gangnam Style Dance
- Listen to Sia’s ‘Wonder Woman’ Anthem Featuring Labrinth
- Snippets from Katy Perry’s ‘Witness’ Reportedly Leak
- Halsey Drops ‘Strangers’ with Fifth Harmony’s Lauren Jauregui