On January 4, 1960, local Athens artist and [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]R.E.M.[/lastfm] front man[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Michael Stipe[/lastfm] was born in Decatur, Georgia.
Although he lived in various places as he moved around with his Military dad, he ended up back in Georgia when he enrolled at the University of Georgia in Athens. It was there that he met Peter Buck, Bill Berry and Mike Mills and formed R.E.M.
R.E.M.’s first TV appearance on David Letterman, 1983, performing their first single, “Radio Free Europe.”
Stipe has collaborated with Natalie Merchant, Peter Gabriel, Chris Martin, Placebo and the New York Dolls.
Michael Stipe performs “Red Rain” with Peter Gabriel and Natalie Merchant.
R.E.M. performing “Wichita Lineman”
R.E.M. on Sesame Street performing “Furry Happy Monsters”
R.E.M. stayed together until just this past September, 2011.
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- The White Stripes ‘Icky Thump’ Scores ‘Justice League’ Trailer
- Win Tickets To Star Trek: Mission New York
- ‘Star Trek’ Predicts Hip-Hop is the ‘Classical Music’ of the Future
- Britney Spears Reveals Dream Car
- 8 Amazing Instagrams from Drake & Future’s ‘Summer Sixteen Tour’
- Gwen Stefani Shows Multi-Generational Appeal at Jones Beach Concert
- How Social Media Became Stanaj’s Unexpected Ticket to Stardom
- 5 Seconds of Summer Fight Ghosts in New Video ‘Girls Talk Boys’
- Trump Defies The Rolling Stones
- Diplo Says ‘No One Thought’ Justin Bieber Collaboration ‘Would Work’
- Win Passes For ‘Bad Moms’ & A Vivajennz Wine Purse
- Lindsey Stirling Breaks Down the Joy of Working with Andrew McMahon on ‘Something Wild’
- Alan Mingo Jr. Talks ‘Kinky Boots’ With Karen Carson
- Britney Spears Wants Selena Gomez Duet
- Sia’s Wig Snapchat Filter is Now Available