A Shiny Happy Birthday To Michael Stipe!
On January 4, 1960, local Athens artist and [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]R.E.M.[/lastfm] front man[lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Michael Stipe[/lastfm] was born in Decatur, Georgia.
Although he lived in various places as he moved around with his Military dad, he ended up back in Georgia when he enrolled at the University of Georgia in Athens. It was there that he met Peter Buck, Bill Berry and Mike Mills and formed R.E.M.
R.E.M.’s first TV appearance on David Letterman, 1983, performing their first single, “Radio Free Europe.”
Stipe has collaborated with Natalie Merchant, Peter Gabriel, Chris Martin, Placebo and the New York Dolls.
Michael Stipe performs “Red Rain” with Peter Gabriel and Natalie Merchant.
R.E.M. performing “Wichita Lineman”
R.E.M. on Sesame Street performing “Furry Happy Monsters”
R.E.M. stayed together until just this past September, 2011.
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Listen to Robin Gibb’s ‘Days of Wine and Roses’ from Upcoming Final Album
- Neil Young, Pearl Jam, Tom Jones to Play Bridge School Benefit
- President Obama Visits Student Who Wished for Beyoncé Instead
- Kendrick Lamar, Ellie Goulding & Calvin Harris to Perform at the Bermuda Triangle on Halloween
- Impact: Train Aims to ‘Get Into People’s Lives’ with ‘Bulletproof Picasso’
- Rihanna Cut From ‘Thursday Night Football’ Because Of Ray Rice
- Madonna DJs an After Party with Skrillex, Diplo: Watch
- Enter To Win: Maroon 5 In Concert
- Foo Fighters Perform ‘White Limo’ with Cover Band Frontman: Watch
- Ariana Grande Denies Diva Behavior, Says Rumors Are ‘Nonsense, My Fans Know Who I Am’
- After 50 Years, Barbra Streisand Will Finally Return to Late Night
- Paul McCartney Has ‘Hope For The Future’ On New Track From Destiny Video Game: Listen
- Foo Fighters Confirm Death Cab for Cutie’s Ben Gibbard and The Eagles’ Joe Walsh Among ‘Sonic Highways’ Guests
- Pharrell Williams on Ferguson: ‘This Is Going to Be the Longest Hangover in Race Relations Ever’
- Stevie Wonder Announces Tour Behind ‘Songs in the Key of Life’