Bubbling Under: Wendy and Carnie Wilson’s “Hey Santa”
Each week, Billboard magazine’s “Bubbling Under” chart features singles that rank below its famous Hot 100 chart.
Take the star power of [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]the Mamas and the Papas[/lastfm], mix it with the star power of the [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Beach Boys[/lastfm], pass it down a generation, and what do you get? [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Wilson Phillips[/lastfm]. [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Wendy and Carnie Wilson[/lastfm], the daughters of [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Brian Wilson[/lastfm], and [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Chynna Phillips[/lastfm], the daughter of John and Michelle Phillips, sold over 10 million copies of their 1990 debut album. A second album, Shadows and Light, also sold millions (although not so many millions) in 1992.
Chynna Phillips decided to pursue a solo career in 1992, leaving Wendy and Carnie behind. In 1993, the Wilson sisters released a Christmas album called Hey Santa! It consisted mostly of familiar holiday songs, including a 74-second recording of “I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus” performed at a Wilson family gathering in 1977 with Brian on piano. The title song got enough radio airplay at Christmas of 1993 to chart on both the Billboard magazine Christmas singles chart and the Bubbling Under chart. It features backing vocals by the Wilson sisters’ uncle, Beach Boys member [lastfm link_type="artist_info"]Carl Wilson[/lastfm].
Read More On Fresh1027.com:
- Danny DeVito Steals the Show in One Direction’s ‘Steal My Girl’ Video: Watch
- Ariana Grande, Maroon 5, Pharrell & Tim McGraw to Perform on ‘A Very GRAMMY Christmas’
- Impact: Taylor Swift Reveals Her Pop Side on New Album ‘1989’
- Matt Nathanson Partners with Starkey Hearing Foundation to Raise Awareness for the Hearing Impaired
- #InThatOrder: Ranking Maroon 5 Albums From Worst To Best