Memorial Day Essentials: Top Five Desserts (page 5)
May 28, 2011 6:05 AM
Cheese Cake Pies
- 8 sheets phyllo dough
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1/2 cup strawberry jelly
- On a flat surface, place one sheet phyllo dough. Brush it with melted butter or margarine, and cover with another piece of phyllo. Repeat until all 8 sheets are used. Using kitchen scissors, cut layered phyllo into a 12 to 13 inch circle. Carefully press circle into a greased 9 inch pie plate; gently fan edges. Bake at 425 degrees F (220 degrees C) until edges are just golden, 6 to 8 minutes; cool slightly on a wire rack.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs until well combined. Fold in 1 cup of blueberries. Pour filling into prepared crust.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) until set, 40 to 50 minutes. To prevent over browning of crust, gently cover pie with foil for the last 25 minutes of baking. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, beat jelly until smooth; spread over cheese filling. Arrange 1 cup blueberries on top in a star pattern.