Top 10 Covers Of Adele's Smash-Hit Soul Song 'Rolling In The Deep'

1 lead adele sean gallup getty images Top 10 Covers Of Adele's Smash Hit Soul Song 'Rolling In The Deep'

Photo by Sean Gallup//Getty Images

Although she stays incredibly humble with her fame, British soul chanteuse [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Adele[/lastfm] has the uncanny ability to pen emotionally charged sonic narratives that perfectly describe the human condition. Her biggest example is her hit single “Rolling In The Deep” which is praised by critics, multi-format music audiences, and fellow musicians alike.

Many of these musicians couldn’t keep their creative digits out of the pot of musical gold that is “Rolling In The Deep,” capitalizing on the song’s success with cover after cover.

While some have been horrible, we’ve found Ten Cover Versions of “Rolling In The Deep” that have seemingly fused their own creative energy with the raw expression of Adele’s original.

10. [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Lea Michelle[/lastfm] and [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Jonathan Groff [/lastfm]from Glee

1 adele dave hogan getty images Top 10 Covers Of Adele's Smash Hit Soul Song 'Rolling In The Deep'

Photo by Dave Hogan//Getty Images

Although we think the Glee version of “Rolling In The Deep” is missing the driving, powerful drumming that musically encapsulates Adele’s rage, no one can deny that the duet between the talented vocal combo of Lea Michelle and Jonathan Groff isn’t a great version.

9.[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Young The Giant[/lastfm]

2 adele ian gavan getty images Top 10 Covers Of Adele's Smash Hit Soul Song 'Rolling In The Deep'

Photo by Ian Gavan//Getty Images

Up-and-coming rock group, Young the Giant, have combined their indie musical stylings with powerful acoustic guitar to lend a strong male persona to the very feminine track.

8. [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Childish Gambino[/lastfm]

3 adele dave hogan getty images Top 10 Covers Of Adele's Smash Hit Soul Song 'Rolling In The Deep'

Photo by DAve Hogan//Getty Images

Not exactly a cover, Childish Gambino’s rap mix of “Rolling In The Deep” adds a decidedly fierce hip-hop perspective on the painful break-up theme of the song.

Bonus points go to Childish Gambino for adding an insanely dance-driven layer of production. Now the world can dance out their pain.

7. [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Jayme Dee[/lastfm]

4 adele rick diamond getty images Top 10 Covers Of Adele's Smash Hit Soul Song 'Rolling In The Deep'

Photo by Rick Diamond//Getty Images

Young musical Youtube sensation lends her sweet, subdued pop vocals to Adele’s song, making it less of a song about passionate rage and more of a tune of mellow-toned disappointment.

6. [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Kina Grannis[/lastfm]

6 adele christopher polk getty images1 Top 10 Covers Of Adele's Smash Hit Soul Song 'Rolling In The Deep'

Photo by Christopher Polk//Getty Images

Another YouTube musical sensation, Kina Grannis actually has an emotive quality that almost matches Adele’s mature croon.

You can tell Grannis has been through some similar situations from the agony in her voice.

5. [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Ps22[/lastfm]

7 adele astrid stiarawz getty images Top 10 Covers Of Adele's Smash Hit Soul Song 'Rolling In The Deep'

Photo by Astrid Stiawarz//Getty Images

This rendition of “Rolling In The Deep” from Staten Island’s PS22 elementary school choir almost brought us to tears.

How does that little girl know how to sing with such sorrow?

4. [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]Haley Reinhart[/lastfm] from American Idol

5 adele jason kempin getty images Top 10 Covers Of Adele's Smash Hit Soul Song 'Rolling In The Deep'

Photo by Jason Kempin//Getty Images

Current American Idol contestant Haley Reinhart is speculated to be the only female on the show that will be in the final showdown.

If everything she does sounds like this, she might be the most talented singer to come off the show.

3. [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]David Cook[/lastfm]

8 adele hason merritt getty images Top 10 Covers Of Adele's Smash Hit Soul Song 'Rolling In The Deep'

Photo by Jason Merritt//Getty Images

Although she will have to contend with the magic vocals of seventh season American Idol winner, David Cook.

His live, almost Americana-sounding version of Adele’s “Rolling In The Deep” gives a totally different rock ‘n roll perspective to the song.

[photogallerylink id=40312]

2.[lastfm link_type=”artist_info”] Mike Posner[/lastfm]

9 adele kevin winter getty images Top 10 Covers Of Adele's Smash Hit Soul Song 'Rolling In The Deep'

Photo by Kevin Winter//Getty Images

Mike Posner’s whispery, electronica-tinged version of “Rolling In The Deep” is definitely the most unusual cover of the song.

Posner takes the “fire” out of the song and make it into an cool, melancholy love song.

1. [lastfm link_type=”artist_info”]John Legend[/lastfm]

10 adele michael loccissano getty images Top 10 Covers Of Adele's Smash Hit Soul Song 'Rolling In The Deep'

Photo by Michael Loccisano//Getty Images

Out of all the “Rolling In The Deep” covers, we think John Legend’s would actually bring Adele herself to tears.

Legend’s fuses the spiritual soulfulness of gospel with the rich tonality of his voice.

We’d love to hear a duet between Adele and Legend.

What is your favorite “Rolling In The Deep” cover? Let us know in the comments!

Comments

1. Safroniamay says:

Love Cook’s rendition!!!!!

2. Brev says:

David Cook does the best cover of Rolling in the Deep, hands down! Posner’s makes me cover my ears it’s so horrific and Legend’s is good, but not great, to my ears. Especially when he hits the chorus.

3. Christiana says:

David Cook nailed it !! His Cover, gave me Goosebumps !!

4. Chris says:

Wow, this is a great cover. Great voice and I like the arrangement.

5. Nico says:

My favorite cover of Rolling in the Deep is the one by David Cook live. Absolutely stunning!

6. pattie says:

I love this song rocked out, and David Cook has an amazing voice.

7. pattie says:

This little girl has one heck of a voice. Talented kids!

8. Kellie D. says:

My favorite is David Cook’s! He has an amazing voice and did wonderful things with this song.

9. misha says:

I’d like to see Adele and David Cook duet on this song…love his cover the most….his voice actually sounds better than Legend’s. And Mike Posner’s cover definitely had no heat. And this song is about HEAT. Haley’s rendition is also stellar.

10. hoaloha says:

I absolutely love David Cook’s cover. He did Adele proud. I would love to hear a duet by them.

11. Joanie says:

Listened to all the different vocals. I do believe I like David Cook’s version for #2. Of course Adele’s is #1 always!!

12. Janet says:

David Cook’s cover is sensational. John Legends is killer, too. The song has great bones.

13. Lydia says:

Love the grit in David’s voice on this song.

14. tk says:

I’m obsessed with this song. Adele is a goddess. John Legend’s version of this is really cool but I especially like David Cook’s take. His voice is excellent.

15. 1lynnelynne says:

Thanks for selecting my recording of David Cook’s cover of Adele’s “Rolling in the Deep”! You must remember that this was recorded outside in a field, in the desert, with many technical challenges going on in the background during this performance! I was actually stunned when I first watched my video. This was an “Epic” concert moment! You can see my video @ 1lynnelynne.

16. rrprieto04 says:

# 3 and this was a radio gig acoustic David Cook did. On top of it, there were technical difficulties. He did awesome . I hope he plans on singing it again the way he intended.

17. lady peace says:

It’s “dear God’ alright – a terrific version!

18. Marnie says:

I love the John Legend cover which I have heard previously. However I think my favorite is David Cook. Besides his vocals, the music and backing vocals seem to add an edgy type vibe.

19. Connie says:

Best version for me. Love his vocals. Amazing live performer.

20. Made says:

Thanks for including David Cook’s version! It is absolutely amazing. IMO, should be #1 (well, maybe I’m a little biased, lol). But y’all should take into account this version is taken from a live show at Pet-A-Palooza, nothing recorded in a studio. Just sayin’😉

21. Bouffe says:

Love the emotion he puts behind this. Great vocals!

22. mymsien says:

Amazing vocals, especially considering the fact that it was live. I can listen to this again.

23. Mary-ellen says:

DAvid rocks this song!

24. Sandy says:

David Cook’s cover is awesome. I could listen to that on repeat. His version is way better than anyone else’s. I like Haley’s voice and the voice of the soloist from PS22 is excellent, but neither of them came up with anything that compares to Cook’s version.

25. Sandy says:

Forgot to say in my original comment that (IMO) though John Legend has a great voice, he made it sound like some gospel track. Did not like it. Can’t you just see the church choir behind him?

26. Justi says:

David Cook by far has the best cover of it! His voice and the way he sang it gave me chills!! I loved his version the best. Its the one that got me to listen to the original version of it!

27. Music Lover says:

i figured all the raves on these comments were just Cook fans raving up their boy so I had to see for myself.
    I listened to the top three and as an unbiased opinion I have to say David Cooks version was the best of the three vocal wise.
    I could not listen to Mike Posner’s version all the way through because it was not a pleasant experience. His voice was shallow and he relied too much on techno inputs. John Legend’s version was certainly better than Mike Posner’s but I think because it was a Capella. There were places in the higher range where his voice became thin and squeaky.
    David Cook’s voice is rich and full and I believe had this been a studio recording it would have challenged Adele’s version for the top spot.

28. Penny says:

David Cook doesn’t do covers, he does ‘betters’ His special, unique, powerful & passionate voice enhances any song he choose to do. his voice takes my breath away!

29. angie_puertorico says:

Adele must be blown away with all of these amazing covers. There is something for each taste. For me, it’s the rock version of David Cook. love it! =)

30. Jov says:

I love David Cook’s version of this song the most.

31. Susan says:

Just listened to John Legend’s version. It’s good and I also loved Haley’s but David Cook’s is still number 1 for me (despite the technical difficulties and sound problems they had on stage).
    The way he powers through the song captures the emotions perfectly. When does this man ever take a breath, I wonder? You can hear the others breathe and for me it stops the flow of the song and makes me focus on the difficulties of singing it and I find it loses momentum. David, ironically, ends up quite breathless when he reaches the word “breathless” and it is just perfect. It’s like all the anger and passion is running away with him. And his voice? Beyond gorgeous!

32. Susan says:

Had another listen and I also want to add that David is the only guy who, being a tenor, can sing the song at almost the original key. He lowered it one step whereas John Legend and Mike Posner (do not like that version very much) go much lower. And yes, that does take away a lot of the “heat” that this song is about. I don’t think it really fits the “melancholy love song” vibe.

33. Shari says:

I think David Cook’s was the best. I would love to hear him and Adele do a duet of this song.

34. SarahM says:

David’s version gave me chills. I loved it. He should sooo record this and make some money. I have a feeling he’d be rolling in the depths of that!!!!!!!!!

35. Viki says:

This is a great song. I love the PS22 choir, the young soloist was great. Kina Grannis was pretty good, but Jaymie Dee didn’t get the feel of the song at all. John legend did great with the gospel vibe. But by far my favourite is David Cook . He totally owned it.

36. Sydney says:

I loved David Cooks cover of Rolling in the Deep. I couldn’t believe how much I truly loved it. I hope to see him perform it live until then I will keep it on my Youtube channel and Cherish it. I’m glad other people saw it and thought it was awesome too. He blew my mind with that cover..

37. crazigrami says:

Only David Cook and the little girl were true to the song. It needs that deep driving beat. It is an angry song. John Legend would have been better to do it without the background singers. I would kill to see David and Adele do a duet. He sings it close to where she does. I saw a mash up on you tube with a great editing job of what it would sound like. Awesome.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8Kzuw8MERw&feature=related This is awesome. Wish they would do it someday.

1. Harold Lefson says:

Sorry No. 1 is David Cook. He bettered the hell out of it. Something special.

38. coco says:

Cook’s cover gave me chills. It was incredible.

39. Susan says:

Just trying to keep this at number one for the most comments, lol.
    David Cook doesn’t do covers he does betters! I remember laughing hard when I first read this.
    And yes, its true and I find it really baffling how he does it. I think it’s also his phrasing. The way he sits on the beat really drives the song, keeps it rolling along with incredible energy.
    Check out his cover of “Don’t You Forget About Me” which is really low and so very different from RITD. And yet again he captures the essence of the song. What a talent! Really looking forward to his new record.